9.08.2009

23 in Mississippi

What is that you say? That is my watch set to run 24 miles. My brother and I set out Sunday morning to run our last long run before the actual marathon on October 11 in Chicago. We were in Memphis/Olive Branch this weekend visiting family so it was a little harder to choose a running route. We decided to run down Goodman Road which basically goes from Olive Branch to Southaven. What is crazy is that we ran from Olive Branch to Southaven and back AND THEN SOME. I forget how far 24 miles really is.

All that to say, we set out at 5:00am, encountered a drunk woman getting pulled over at about 5:30am, saw several dead animals, saw the first planes for the day landing at the airport around 7:00am, made a few rest stops, and ended up back at our house at mile 21 with three more miles to run. By that time it was already 9:20 and we had to leave soon for church. So, we ended up running two more miles and called it a day. I think we pretty much get the idea of what it's going to be like to run 26 miles =) I feel like I have been preparing for this race for a LONG time and I am so anxious and ready for it to be here.

I'm amazed by the fact that I can actually say I have run that far. I never thought I would be able to say it and make it through not getting injured. I really think it's because of our training program, thanks to Jeff Galloway. I highly recommend his running techniques to people who run a lot or want to train for a marathon.

My brother will be running with the American Cancer Society. You can check out his story here.

Only 5 more weeks and it will all be over. I can't wait til race day!!

No comments: