6.03.2009

Clean v Unclean

Sarah and I have a bible study book that we have been going through VERY slowly. Last summer we decided that we wanted to start studying the Word from beginning to the end. So we ended up picking Kay Arthur's inductive studies that takes you through every book of the Bible. The first one is Genesis-Deuteronomy, the Pentateuch. It has been one of my favorite studies that I have done. There's nothing special about it, it's quite simple actually. She just gives you specific readings for six days of the week and on the 7th you do a recap of what you have read. She really doesn't give her input at all, but really leaves it up to you to hear what God is speaking to you through the scriptures.

We are reading through Leviticus right now. Let me be the first to admit that it took me a long time to be excited about reading Leviticus. I actually put off Leviticus for months. It's very intimidating to try and figure out what God is saying between all of these laws and rituals/offerings, etc.

I have learned way more from the first 10 chapters of Leviticus than I ever thought I would. Today I read through Ch 11 and 12. You should read them today if you have a chance. Notice how many times the word "unclean" is used.

If you read it and want to know my thoughts:

I was trying to reason out why God was so specific about what the Israelities could/couldn't eat. And why, even if they touched an unclean animal unintentionally, they were considered "unclean" and remained that way for hours. But then I started to realize that God was SO incredibly merciful to these people. He rescued them! From Egypt... from the pit basically. These were HIS people. He set them apart. These laws were just another way to set them apart from their past... from the unclean. He wanted them to be totally separate from the things He had forbidden.

In v. 44-45, God says "You must be holy, because I am holy." He doesn't want us to just "technically" be void of sin, He wants us to COMPLETELY avoid it. To not even go near temptation. He was us, as Christians, to be set apart.

What areas in my life am I "technically" innocent, but have actually been involved in sin?
What areas in your life have you been "technically" innocent, but have actually been involved in sin?

It's not easy to be holy in an unholy world. Be encouraged that we are able to be set apart in a world full of wickedness! Colossians 1:22

1 comment:

Sarah Smith said...

Thank you for challenging me spiritually. I learn so much from our friendship - SURELY you know that by now; ha. It's crazy to think about the depth of our friendship. You are my sister in Christ and i'm quite confident that God has big plans for us both...we can talk later over chips and salsa :) Thank you for your thoughts! Mine are soon to come email style. LOVE YOU.

p.s. i'm still waiting for my package from Celine Dion...or Delilah.